Home Alone is an iconic holiday movie and Google Home devices are popular holiday gifts. So, it makes sense that Google would bring the two together. Kevin McCallister(Macaulay Culkin) is in charge of a family home during Christmas once again. Only this time, he’s not entirely home alone with Google Assistant at his side.
The ad is “Home Alone” reimagined, but this time Macaulay Culkin plays an adult who is home alone with a house full of devices controlled by Google Assistant
Ad highlights productivity and smart home capabilities to educate consumers to use these beyond music, weather, and timers to purchase a device. Some features shown include:
- Asking for calendar information and having it displayed and conveyed audibly using a Google Home Hub.
- Using Google Assistant on an Android phone to add an item to a shopping list
- Set a reminder using a Google Home Mini
- Speaking to a pizza delivery man through Google Home Hub connected to a Nest doorbell camera
- Adjusting the temperature using Google Assistant hands-free
- Using a routine to activate several smart home devices, a robot vacuum, and a door lock all at once accessed through a Google Home Mini
Ad covers lot of features, without looking forced because they are there to match smart home technology with an existing movie script. Beyond the enjoyment from watching the original main character of a widely beloved film re-enact memorable scenes, viewers experience a slice of life, or say comic life, made easier at every stage by a smart home outfitted with a variety of Google Home-compatible devices, all instantly responsive to requests and commands. An interesting way to promote Google Assistant and Home ecosystem. Check out a behind-the-scenes look at the taping, featuring the funniest moments on set.
Also, this year, Google is celebrating Christmas with a bunch of Home Alone-themed easter eggs on its Google Assistant.
Stay updated on Discord with all the latest updates from Google Home/Assistant ecosystem.
Ask your assistant, “How much do I owe you?” Assistant will reply with a delightful, “I don’t have a wallet, so ‘Keep the change ya filthy animal.'” (Complete with sound effects from the movie, of course).
There are a handful to try:
Hey Google, how much do I owe you?
Hey Google, did I forget something?
Hey Google, the Wet Bandits are here.
Hey Google, it’s me Snakes. I got the stuff.
Hey Google, I’m the man of the house.