Stay updated on Telegram with latest updates from Google Home/Assistant ecosystem.
No need to separate your commands, say two commands together at once to Google Assistant, to perform multiple actions.
One of the frustrating experience when using a smart speaker is trying to accomplish several things at once. For instance, if you want to dim the lights, stream your favorite music, and change the volume, it would normally require three separate commands. No more, Google Assistant devices are smart enough to handle multiple queries/commands at a time. It’s important to note that this is limited in language and region availability.
Instead of having to say two separate commands, here are some ways stringing two commands can be useful:
- “Hey Google, what’s the weather and what’s on my calendar?” to get that information read to you back-to-back.
- “Hey Google, turn on the TV and what’s the weather?” Your TV with Chromecast will power on and Google Assistant will tell you the weather for your location.
- “Hey Google, play jazz music and set the volume to 5.”
- “Hey Google, dim the lights and play focus music.”
- “Hey Google, turn on the lights and find my phone.”
- “Hey Google, turn off the bedroom lights and turn on the coffee pot.”
- “Hey Google, turn on the light and change the temperature to 70”
Stay updated on Google News with the latest updates from Google Home/Assistant ecosystem.
Did you know, In some specific cases, Google Assistant can even handle up to three commands simultaneously.
How to give your Google Assistant multiple commands at once
Google Assistant is smart enough to understand the context of multiple actions/commands. Instead of “turn off living room and turn off bedroom”. Say “turn off living room and bedroom” and it should work. Few other commands are,
- Hey Google, what’s the weather in Vancouver, Toronto and Alberta?”
- Hey Google, what time is it in Montreal, Vancouver, and Texas?
- Hey Google, turn on the coffee maker, the kitchen light, and the Chromecast.
- Hey Google, set the volume to 8, play Lucky Ali on Spotify, and turn off the lights.
- Hey Google, what’s my first meeting today, what’s my calendar for Tuesday, and list all events for Mar 15th
- Hey Google, turn off the dining room light, turn on the living room lights, and play music by The Beatles.
- Hey Google, lock the door, close the blinds, and increase the AC temperature.
Essentially, this just makes multiple commands more natural to say on your Google Nest/Home devices and improves the experience noticeably.
Interested in learning more about the Google Assistant and Smart Home? Subscribe to WAV newsletter via Email.
Note: This feature is only available in the U.S. when the Assistant language is set to U.S. English.
Note: If Google needs to ask for more information, then it won’t be able to complete the three-part command. For example, “Hey Google, set an alarm and turn on the porch lights and security alarm,” then Google will ignore everything else and ask you what time you want to set the alarm for. You can avoid this by giving that information in your command itself.
Cliff Reilly Have you identified what is the problem and contacted Google for same?
My garbage google homes (4), can’t even perform one properly. I am all google, but Alexa is a better system by far
Faster, smarter, and overall cleaner for.
Doesn’t work in german language.
Still can only ask one thing in the UK