Stay updated on Telegram with latest updates from Google Home/Assistant ecosystem.
Your Google Nest/Home speakers are a convenient way to set alarms, control your smart lights, and check the weather. During the day, you might listen to music on Nest Audio/Mini, or turn the brightness up on Nest Hub/Max. But If you use these speakers at the dead of night and they scream back to answer, you realize your device is too loud or bright to fall asleep comfortably.
With Night Mode feature, this should be a thing of the past. Make your Google Nest/Home speakers less annoying at night by activating Night Mode automatically that dims LED brightness, and brightness settings on smart displays and turns down volume on speakers during set days and times.
There’s also a Do Not Disturb(DND) mode, which mutes notification sounds from reminders to broadcasts, but keeps alarms and timers on. Here’s how it works:
How to enable Night Mode on Google Home app
- Open the Google Home app .
- Select your device.
- Tap Settings Notifications & digital wellbeing.
- Tap Night mode Enable night mode.
Stay updated on Google News with the latest updates from Google Home/Assistant ecosystem.
Step 2. Schedule Night mode
- Under “From,” tap choose the time Ok.
- Under “To,” tap choose the time Ok.
- Tap the day(s) of the week you want Night mode on. If the circle is blue, Night mode is on for that day.
How to adjust the LED brightness and maximum volume at night
Do not disturb
When Night mode’s on, you can mute reminders, broadcasts, boot up sounds and other spoken notifications on Google speakers and displays with Do Not Disturb. Timers and alarms will still ring.
To turn on do not disturb, turn the slider on OR say ‘Hey Google, turn do not disturb on.’
To turn off do not disturb, ‘Hey Google, turn do not disturb off’
LED brightness at night
Most of Nest speakers have LED lights that can be a too bright for some people during sleep.
- On top of your speaker or display, to dim the lights, drag the slider to left and to brighten the lights, drag the slider to right.
Maximum volume at night
- At night, to lower the maximum volume of Assistant, drag the slider to left and to raise volume drag to the right.
You’ll see and hear the selected volume on the Google Nest speakers as you change it in real time.
Dark theme for Nest displays
Dark theme keeps your Nest display interface dark at night. Use your display and interact with Google Assistant with only the minimal level of screen brightness needed for the desired activity.
Set up Dark theme
Sometimes these smart displays can be a little too bright, especially if you are trying to enjoy a quiet evening or sleeping in the same room. You can set up and adjust dark theme in device settings on your display or in the Google Home app or through your voice.
|On the display||In the Google Home App|
|Swipe up from the bottom of screen to expose the quick settings tray.|
In the bottom right, tap Settings Display.
|Open the Google Home app tap your display Settings under “Device features,” tap Display.|
- Under “Theme,” select the option you prefer. If you want the display to always use
- Light theme, select Light
- Dark theme, select Dark.
- To automatically switch between light and dark themes based on local sunset or sunrise and ambient light levels in the room, select Auto.
Control Dark theme with your voice
- To turn on, “Hey Google, turn on Dark theme.”
- To turn off, “Hey Google, turn off Dark theme.”
Screen timeout: Use this option to turn the screen off after five minutes of no activity sensed. It’s a potential alternative to turning off the screen entirely in low-light settings.
How do you manage your Nest speakers and display at night, let us know in the comments below.